[78-L] For those married folks, how does your spouse fell about your record collection?

Rodger Holtin rjh334578 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 9 19:52:50 PST 2009

My wife (36 years now) is kinda unique and typical at the same time.  She's provided me my own room for all my stuff in the last two houses, the current being more secluded than the other, so once the door is closed and the headphones securely affixed...

She took such an interest as a girlfriend-newlywed that she got George T Simon's book on big bands to memorize the list of theme songs.  Still later she took up collecting the Statler Brothers records and eventually published the Statler Brothers Discography (Greenwood Press 1997).  It was a well-done book, well-received by ARSC reviewers.  From there she gravitated to Australian country singer Slim Dusty and another thousand records later that book is in negotiation with some publishers.  That's the unique side.

After the Statler records were all collected and the book done, she shipped most of the records and all the paperwork to one of the group member's sons whose interest in dad's career was ignited by her book.  We have a few copies of the book for our kids, all the albums on CD and some great memories.

As our ages advance towards retirement/death, there is more talk (ok, threats) of clearing it ALL out and downsizing, so the local Goodwill in Jackson, TN may become a great place for somebody to find Orthophonics someday.  And yet, when we have a day off from school (both of us are university staff) we head to the fleas and buy more records or Depression glass - and enjoy every minute of it.

Rodger

For Best Results use Victor Needles.

.