[78-L] Phil Harris/Andy Razaf

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Mon Nov 9 17:40:04 PST 2009

Checked my copies of "That's What I Like 'Bout the South" - I have two non-Harris versions, by Bob Wills (Vocalion, 1938) and Cliff Bruner (Decca, 1944). Both show Razaf as the sole writer. All versions that I have by Harris show Harris as the writer. I wonder if Harris and Razaf didn't strike a deal on this, whereby Harris would receive credit on all of his recordings of the song while Razaf got credit on all others plus royalties.

Cary Ginell