[78-L] saving an album

Robert M. Bratcher Jr. bratcher at pdq.net
Mon Nov 9 14:42:57 PST 2009

At 10:12 AM 11/7/2009, you wrote:

>this discussion raises a general question regarding archival
>and collector practice relating to record albums.
>
>Many store the records in archive quality sleeves
>on appropriate shelving.  Some have only the records,
>having discarded the original albums (this was done at the
>Institute of Jazz Studies when housed at Marshall Stearns home,
>don't know what is done at the IJS at Rutgers.)
>
>Do you shelve records in album sequence or catalog number sequence?
>What do you do with the albums?
>
>I usually keep records with the albums, which are
>shelved by label and album number.
>As age and deterioration overtake the albums, I have thought
>it might be better for the records to remove them and
>shelve them with other singles.
>I would then disassemble the album and keep only
>the PARTS of the album which contain graphics, photos or notes.
>
>The advantages to that would be to better protect the records,
>save a little space and get rid of possible source of contamination
>(e.g. the deteriorating, mildewed sleeves and bindings.
>
>The disadvantage is destroying an artifact.
>
>Others musings sought....Thanks.  Thomas.

I've kept most of my 78 rpm album sets intact on the shelves. The
only time I've thrown away the album jacket & just kept the records
is if the album is damaged severely or shows other signs of
deterioration.  Then I just clean the records & keep them in separate
sleeves. The album sets are separated by type of music then filed
alphabetically by artist  just like I do with classical which is
alphabetical by composer. Of course I also keep the records together
by speeds so that 78's are in one set of shelves, 45's in another &
LP's in a third place.