[78-L] Wilf Carter re: Pete Knight

Stephen Davies SDavies at mtroyal.ca
Mon Nov 9 10:03:16 PST 2009

[source: http://countrydiscography.blogspot.com/2009/06/wilf-carter-montana-slim.html ]

Folks,
    I used PragueFrank's blog / discography to catalogue some Wilf Carter / Montana Slim discs, but was stumped by this one:
Bluebird [Can] B-4989
    "Pete Knight, the king of the cowboys" mx OA-7902, recorded 1935-mar-20, Montreal
b/w "The Calgary round-up" mx OA-7904, same date

    But the discog also shows he had recorded these sides previously on 1934-oct-18/19, as mx 7830 & 7836.  The discog says they were also released as Bluebird [Can] B-4989.  Is this a clerical error, or did Carter re-record this disc only months later?
    [Just to complicate matters, my copy is a Regal Zonophone from Australia, and not a Bluebird at all.]

    And finally, who was Pete Knight?  He returns to the Carter oeuvre in the unfortunate "Pete Knight's last ride"

- Stephen D
in Calgary