[78-L] Frank Ross - Liberty Music Shop L-154

Jack Raymond jraymond at alumni.princeton.edu
Sat Nov 7 14:44:14 PST 2009

The film producer Frank Ross made no films in the early Thirties and
might have been the Frank Ross who sings on that 1933 LMS record. The
"Personal Recording" label style that you describe is what LMS used at
the time.  My copy of L-154 has the same label as yours, and it's also
the one L-153.  LMS played around with different styles.  L-156, for
example,  is emblazoned "Eduardo Bianco et son fameaux (SIC) orchestre
Argentin" in big letters, with a small picture of Bianco; down at the
bottom of the label, in small letters, it says "Distributed Exclusively
by Liberty Music Shop."  Perhaps the oddest LMS label is one issued in
1936.  The plain white label reads "FAREWELL SPEECH OF KING EDWARD
VIII," with "Liberty Music Shops" in small type at the bottom and no
label number whatsoever.  Scratched in the runoff area are the matrix
numbers S-1 and S-2.

-- Jack Raymond