[78-L] Mercer, Tilton and Bailey

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Fri Nov 6 10:41:19 PST 2009

Jeff wrote:

> Tilton was available, Mercer liked her and that was that. Yes, she was not
> the greatest singer at the time, but she was good enough, and she did sell
> records.

Just this week I found the Tilton Capitol of  "I'll Remember April" with a
Gordon Jenkins accomp.  This is my all-time favorite song and it's damn hard
to sing...her version is quite fine,  and I was also reminded how she had
matured as a singer from the early Goodman days.

Mercer also saw to it that Capitol issued a tribute album to Willard
Robison...surely he's one of the most unfairly neglected figures in American
music.

Last,  I think the Mildred Bailey sides on Majestic are among her best
records,  esp. I'll  Close My Eyes and also Me and the Blues.

Taylor