[78-L] classical stuff

simmonssomer simmonssomer at comcast.net
Fri Nov 6 07:52:08 PST 2009

Word was out that the Mascagni "Cavelleria" was one of the worst recordings
of that opera ever made. It was allegedly a matter of tempo, in that the
maestro rushed through the score in an unprecedented manner. It was a huge
surprise to the cognocenti. "Who better than Mascagni to conduct his own
opera?" went the popularly held babble. Well, apparently the maestro was in
his dotage and perhaps he just wanted to go home.

Al Simmons