[78-L] classical stuff

Robert M. Bratcher Jr. bratcher at pdq.net
Fri Nov 6 03:35:06 PST 2009

At 01:14 AM 11/6/2009, you wrote:
>I realize that while there is an abundance of knowledge about
>classical recordings on this list, there isn't a huge amount of
>discussion about classical music here.  I have come across a lot of
>interesting facts about pop recordings during the last few years
>here but it really isn't a forum for indepth discussions on the
>classical side of things.

Glad to know I'm not the only one here that collects classical on 78 rpm.

>   Another first for me was Felix Weingartner's Beethoven 7th with
> the Royal Philharmonic.  I have both the acoustic and the later
> Vienna recordings but it has been a long time since I've been able
> to add a new Weingartner recording to my collection.  He was the
> first, and on 78s, the only conductor to do a complete Beethoven
> cycle, (most of them recorded two or three times or more), as well
> as a complete Brahms cycle.  The most interesting Weingartner
> Beethoven recording is the rare 5th Symphony recording by an
> unnamed Symphony Orchestra.

I don't have any part of his Brahms cycle on 78's or any other
format. I've got 2 or 3 symphonies from his Beethoven cycle on 78's
plus all 9 symphonies on a late 40's or very early 50's dark blue
label Columbia LP set. Guess what? The 78's have better sound quality
than the LP's do!!