[78-L] Happy 100th, Johnny Mercer

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Nov 5 15:08:51 PST 2009

Taylor Bowie wrote:
> Here is a real Johnny Mercer trivia question...what was the first record of
> any of his songs?  Off the top of my head,  I'd guess it's the High Hatters
> Victor of  "Out of Breath".

> Taylor
=============
These are the early versions:

Colonial Club Orchestra Brunswick June 1930 Irving Kaufman or Scrappy
Lambert-v (unissued)
High Hatters July 10 1930
Colonial Club Orchestra Brunswick Jul 14 1930 Irving Kaufman-v
Joe Venuti September 6 1930 Scrappy Lambert-v

A few years ago in a tribute to Johnny Mercer, Russell Davies played the
Venuti version because he believed it to be the first recording of the
song. Reluctantly played it, I might add, because he would have rather
the vocalist had been someone more famous.

But it looks like the honours go to Scrappy or Irv for the first try!

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4577 (20091105) __________

http://www.eset.com