[78-L] Happy 100th, Johnny Mercer

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Thu Nov 5 11:03:57 PST 2009

Here is a real Johnny Mercer trivia question...what was the first record of
any of his songs?  Off the top of my head,  I'd guess it's the High Hatters
Victor of  "Out of Breath".

I would imagine I play the Mercer Capitol of "Personality" about once a
week...what a fantastic Paul Weston studio band  with it,  along with the
Pied Pipers at their Pied Piper Peak.    The song is Burke and Van Heusen,
but it fits the Mercer style very well.    I think Johnny Burke's lyrics
were often in the Johnny Mercer style,  and think perhaps they influenced
each other in their writing.

Taylor