[78-L] Roland Hayes

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Oct 30 16:27:48 PDT 2009

I have a Jules Bledsoe disc that was issued anonymously on one of Oberstein's
labels: Ol' Man River & That's Why Darkies Were Born. Hmm..wonder if it was
pirated from English Decca, where he recorded those two songs in 1931? I also
have the Royale issue of Go Down Moses & Deep River, but not the Joe Davis
issue of the other sides recorded around this time (Rust says "New York, c.
late 1939-early 1940) but the Royale label says "recorded in Europe").

Obviously not from the acoustic era, but can anyone shed light on these sides
anyway?

dl