[78-L] Metal 78 Stampers

Alexandre Benoit pathe90rpm at yahoo.fr
Thu Oct 29 12:38:28 PDT 2009

Right before the Pathe pressing plant in Chatou (France) was taken down,
several French collectors kept a friendly relationship with a 20 years old,
naive  woman who was in charge of the archive. This was in fact a storage
hall full of matrices and stampers. This young woman allowed people to take
home metal parts over the weekend for copying.

I was told that some guys took 20 parts with them and brought back 12.
This is why metal matrices (with grooves) and stampers are not so uncommon
among French collectors. I have several of them, negatives and positives.
This Chatou plant pressed for HMV and most other major labels.

For one of these discs I have every production step: from the original lacquer
to the pressed record. Both sides.
In the end, Pathe did NOT sell the metal parts to scrap metal dealers, but rather
kept the archive. Initially, collectors were thinking they were saving this stuff from
destruction.

Alex