[78-L] Getting needled

Royal Pemberton ampex354 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 21:29:22 PDT 2009

And one reason Taylor's disc sounds bad with a 3 mil stylus could possibly
be due to groove damage at that point in the groove walls due to someone
broadcasting or playing it with a 3 mil stylus (perhaps a dodgy one) long
ago.  Most likely safe to say 2.5 mil as a starting point (no pun intended)
but as with any other vintage disc, use whatever size gives the best balance
of frequency response, signal to noise ratio and lowest distortion.