[78-L] Getting needled

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Oct 27 22:29:38 PDT 2009

Any chance that it's a vertical cut? It would probably say so on the label, and
if you've played a vertical with a 78 stylus in mono you've noticed that you
aren't hearing anything but groove noise. In stereo you'd get music, out of
phase. A .7 stylus is actually the best for playing vertical cut transcriptions
(and a phase reversal switch, of course). World and Associated/Muzak were
vertical cut.

dl