[78-L] Soupy Sales: One of jazz's best friends is gone - the VIDEO from 2008

Steve Ramm steveramm78l at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 27 20:10:05 PDT 2009

 I'm swamped with things and had to delete most of the 78-L posts over the last week. (I was in New Orleans helpin to plan what will be one of the most fun ARSC Conferences ever for next May).

It was just a year ago (almost to the day- that Soupy came to Philly for the Clifford Brown Symposium at the University of the Arts). This was the day after the Phillies won the World series. This time he died the day after Phillies won the National league pennant!

Soupy's almost adoped daughter - not leagally though - is Kathy O'Connell who hosts the Kids Corner radio show on WXPN in Philly. She introduced Soupy who was unable to speak but came down from NYC to get the Clifford Brown Award.

I created a slide show and still have it. I'll provide the link below. The woman with red hair is jazz legend Annie Ross. The young black man is Clifford Brown JR.

http://tinyurl.com/yl93hhw

Enjoy!

Steve Ramm