[78-L] Invasion of the Body Snatchers [was Billy Murray Tribute?!^]

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Oct 27 08:47:22 PDT 2009

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [78-L] Invasion of the Body Snatchers [was Billy
Murray Tribute?!^]
From: buster <busterdog at mac.com>
Date: Mon, October 26, 2009 8:35 pm
To: 78-L Mail List <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>

one exception might be Jim Morrison's grave in Paris, which is a
gathering place for folks interested in various aspects of his milieu
and work. ride the snake to the ancient lake, indeed.

In Russia the tombstones of great people like Boris Pasternak have
heroic busts and other designs that make these graves a shrine.  They
are major tourist sites for Russians.  And of course there is the
ultimate in modern times--Lenin's Tomb.  I can tell you first hand that
ole Vlad looks like wax.  His former roommate Stalin is in a knitch in
the Kremlin wall behind the tomb along with Gagarin.  Of course there is
the aforementioned Grant's Tomb (made famous by Groucho Marx),
Napoleon's tomb in Paris, and the ultimate tourist site tombs -- The
Pyramids.  Edison's grave is in the lawn behind his home at Glenmont,
George and Martha Washington are sleeping in a grotto on a pathway near
Mount Vernon.  FDR is behind his home in Hyde Park.  Etc.  I will excuse
David's posting as stress from his recent loss, but I disagree with his
attitude that visiting graves is "nauseating in the extreme".  But I
also agree with the call for tributes at sites associaated with the
person.  Those blue discs throughout London, for example, and we have
historic markers all over Kentucky.  There was one around the corner
from my house in Owingsville about some general who lived in the house
there.  But the one I like the best are those brass plaques you can buy
for your house that say something like "On This Site In 1898 Nothing
Much Happened."

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com