[78-L] McKinney's Cotton Pickers

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Oct 22 21:22:55 PDT 2009

Victor HJ 4, McKinney's Cotton Pickers, is all master pressings in the Canadian
issue, as are (I believe) all the albums in this series, even when they're dubs
in the US issues. But one side, Blues Sure Have Got Me, is an unissued master.
Just curious whether it's a dub in the American edition..and how Canada
happened to have original parts for it. I wonder whether they were on file from
the 20s or if Victor sent originals to Canada while using dubbed masters at
home or.....? The remaining sides have the original catalog numbers rubbed out
(and some of the VEs removed), so the stampers must have been used before.

The unissued side also lacks that little ring just inside the last groove, a
characteristic common to previously unused stampers pressed in the 40s.

Hmmmm?