[78-L] Gennett questions

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Oct 22 12:45:13 PDT 2009

Steven C. Barr wrote:

> Compo was experimenting with electrical recording in 1924; their apparent
> first
> releases of electrical recordings occurred in January, 1925. As a result,
> Canadian
> Victor records bore "VE System" as soon as they were released...and there is
> curious Canadian Victor record which pairs an acoustic Jack Shilkret side
> with
> an electric version of the same record (per the label...?!). The latter side
> was
> probably cut in Montreal...and we don't know if Jack Shilkret and the same
> band really made the recording...?! Sadly, I can't call to my mind the
> record
> number involved, though,,,?!

Victor 19571, a disc with two "A" sides. I also have the acoustical A side as a
regular issue (19571) with whatever its original coupling was. The electrical
side has a black label, the VE logo on it and in the wax (looking a bit
different from a normal US master) and the catalog number in the wax also has a
different font. Puzzling record. Not in the same key as the acoustical side
either, as if someone played the disc to take down an arrangement but played it
at the wrong speed.

> Sorry to be so late in replying...my computer mouse "died" yesterday, and I
> couldn't get a replacement until to-day!

Blame the cat....