[78-L] Gennett questions

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Oct 22 12:32:39 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Malcolm Rockwell" <malcolm at 78data.com>
> Gennett hadn't gone electric, but I believe Marsh did in Chicago, and
> Marsh and Gennett had ties this early. Can you cite other matrices in
> this 85000 series that prove that these two sides were recorded in
> Montreal?
> My research shows these two sides were the sole Gennett releases of hers.
> *******
> David Lennick wrote:
>> It should be electrical..Montreal, December 11, 1925. Since Gennett
>> hadn't gone
>> to electrical recording by that time, this would have been something
>> unique for
>> them. Other recordings she made for Apex were issued on Pathe and
>> Perfect. She
>> also made many piano rolls.

Compo was experimenting with electrical recording in 1924; their apparent
first
releases of electrical recordings occurred in January, 1925. As a result,
Canadian
Victor records bore "VE System" as soon as they were released...and there is
curious Canadian Victor record which pairs an acoustic Jack Shilkret side
with
an electric version of the same record (per the label...?!). The latter side
was
probably cut in Montreal...and we don't know if Jack Shilkret and the same
band really made the recording...?! Sadly, I can't call to my mind the
record
number involved, though,,,?!

Also, note that Apex did issue a few Marsh sides, so there could have been a
Marsh Labs-Compo connection...?!

Steven C. Barr

Sorry to be so late in replying...my computer mouse "died" yesterday, and I
couldn't get a replacement until to-day!