[78-L] A LAUGHING RECORD THAT IS NOT OKEH

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Oct 16 15:40:08 PDT 2009

There are at least three different Lowell Thomas laughing jags floating
around.  He occasionally talked about them and probably was responsible
for making them available.  For many years they were the only authentic
blooper recordings that Schafer had.  Some of the fakes were redone
several times which makes it even more obvious they are fakes.  In one
case he finally got the legit recording of one from Buffalo Bob Smith
that had been faked on one of the early volumes.

By the way, did you all know that Schafer did two PMB albums in England
with English narrators on Decca??!!!  Leah and I stumbled across Vol 2
in a record store across the street from The Strand in NYC, were able to
audition it to assure that it was not just a reissue of a U.S. album,
but since it was priced at over $20 we checked on the web and found a
British dealer who had both volumes for less than 5 pounds each.  We
haven't had a chance to listen to them yet to report on how many legit
and non-American items are on them.

And as for the non-OKeh Laughing Record, there are MANY laughing records
on other labels.  We've discussed these here before.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com