[78-L] Sophie Tucker Article in WSJ today

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Thu Oct 15 17:11:10 PDT 2009

> fnarf at comcast.net wrote:
>> I heartily second the Friedwald recommendation.
>>
>> Sophie's own book, "Some of These Days", published in 1945, is a
>> rollicking good read as well. She's no scholar like Friedwald, but you
>> can smell the greasepaint, and her life was as dramatic as her singing.
>> They've got one in my local library; check yours.
>
> Ah, but is it autographed? If it isn't, it may be a collector's item.
>
> dl

I would agree that uninscribed copies of Sophie's books are more uncommon
than signed ones!  Years after the publisher had put the book out of print,
Sophie had it reprinted herself,  and sold copies to her fans while on
tour...nearly always adding a nice inscription and autograph.  She took care
of her fans,  no doubt of that.

I doubt the book is in many public libraries any more,  but check
abebooks.com and you will find many copies for sale for very little money.

Taylor