[78-L] Earl Hines

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Thu Oct 15 09:22:14 PDT 2009

Hi Julian,

I mentioned those two Hines records in particular because I love his solos
on them.  I also love the one on the Brunswick of Julia (great Fuller vocal,
too) where he sort of skitters around but lands on his feet at the end.

I don't think those Hines records from  '32 to '37 get as much attention or
praise as they deserve.  I can listen to them over and over and still get
the  feeling of excitement I had when I first discovered them back in the
70s.   The charts are interesting and the band really swings even at slower
tempos...that's something not all bands could do.

As with the Hines work on the Noone records...it's hard to separate his
solos from his ensemble work...he really does drive the band.  I would agree
with Julian that his solo records are not all that satisfying...maybe he
just needed a band with him to really draw out his best.

I saw him here in Seattle in the mid-70s with Cozy Cole on drums...it was a
fine performance by all.

Taylor