[78-L] Earl Hines

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Wed Oct 14 16:00:44 PDT 2009

 Earl Hines is another pianist who doesn't move that much. The first
 couple of his records I bought were his Felsted session of 1958, which I
 thought was excellent. Next were his OK piano solos, which were fine.
 Nothing after that appealed to me. His work on the Cozy Cole and Charlie
 Shavers Keynotes show him to be floundering badly, whilst trying to
 sound clever. I also find that there is no emotional feel to his playing.

  Julian Vein

I like Hines' work with Noone and with his own band,  1928 to maybe
1941...full of accents and moves which keep me entertained and on my toes,
rather than just wearing me down as does most of Tatum's playing.  I love
his solo on the Noone record of I Know That You Know..also the Hines band
1937 Vocalion of Flanny Doodle Swing,  which I recall is a Budd Johnson
tune/chart.  Simple,  but very effective arrangement...and you can NOT beat
Walter Fuller for hard swinging and edgy trumpet solos!  And I love his
singing.

Thanks to Spats for the tip on that Tatum album...I'll keep an eye out for
it as it sounds like a different side of the guy,  which I might appreciate.

Taylor