[78-L] Earl Hines [was Art Tatum 100th birthday]

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Oct 14 14:50:15 PDT 2009

Erwin Kluwer wrote:
> To me one of the greatest technically equiped players that don't move me a
> inch....
Earl Hines is another pianist who doesn't move that much. The first
couple of his records I bought were his Felsted session of 1958, which I
thought was excellent. Next were his OK piano solos, which were fine.
Nothing after that appealed to me. His work on the Cozy Cole and Charlie
Shavers Keynotes show him to be floundering badly, whilst trying to
sound clever. I also find that there is no emotional feel to his playing.

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4508 (20091014) __________

http://www.eset.com