[78-L] Art Tatum 100th birthday

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Oct 14 14:08:21 PDT 2009

Cary Ginell wrote:
I found Tatum to be an important link between the stride of Waller and
the more free-thinking work of Monk and Bud Powell. The difference is
that he could swing better than any bopper could, the result of his
influence from stride pianists. Anyone who "doesn't get" Tatum probably
is listening from a melodic point of view. I'm not a pianist, but I am a
musician, and I hear things that might sound dissonant on first
listening, but then find out how much sense they really make upon
repeated listenings. I always thought that Tatum played as if he had
four hands. Like him or not, there was no piano player who could
approach his incredible technique.

Cary Ginell
==========
Back in the mid to late 50s, I bought the few Tatum reissues (not the
Verves though, although I've since purchased "The Complete Small Groups"
on CD) then available, and was happy with them. Since then there has
been a deluge of issues and reissues over the decades, which has tended
to saturate the market.

I'm happy to stick with the few recordings that I have. I feel the same
about some other musicians--I reach a point where I consider I'm content
with the amount of recordings I have by them, and then move on. I call
this "Comfortable Completeness".

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4507 (20091014) __________

http://www.eset.com