[78-L] Art Tatum 100th birthday

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Wed Oct 14 11:16:16 PDT 2009

I found Tatum to be an important link between the stride of Waller and the more free-thinking work of Monk and Bud Powell. The difference is that he could swing better than any bopper could, the result of his influence from stride pianists. Anyone who "doesn't get" Tatum probably is listening from a melodic point of view. I'm not a pianist, but I am a musician, and I hear things that might sound dissonant on first listening, but then find out how much sense they really make upon repeated listenings. I always thought that Tatum played as if he had four hands. Like him or not, there was no piano player who could approach his incredible technique.

Cary Ginell