[78-L] Okeh & Vocalion issues

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Oct 14 12:45:15 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Malcolm Rockwell" <malcolm at 78data.com>
> Okay, I understand that in 1940 Okeh and Vocalion were merged (it's a
> lot more complicated than that - I'm simplifying). What consecutive
> issue numbers were used on both labels, if any? And, to be more specific
> than just "1940", what was the timeframe of the issues?

July 1, 1940...I have a copy of a "special record" announcing that the
Vocalion label was becoming the Okeh label, but catalog numbers
wouldn't change. Since most of the "continued" records were either c&w
or "race," they bore the zero prefix used for such issues. By my DG,
numbers were around 5600 at that point!

Steven C. Barr