[78-L] Jules Levy Jr.

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Wed Oct 14 12:26:48 PDT 2009

He's another guy for whom I seem to have ever-increasing admiration.  I just
got what seems to be the last side issued on Okeh as the Tampa Blue Jazz
Band...there are two trumpets but it's pretty easy to tell Levy because of
his smooth style of phrasing and warm,  even tone.  If the guy had lived,
he would have been one of the famous greats on that horn.

The Margaret Young Brunswick of Hard-Hearted Hannah also has magnificent
trumpet work in the great accomp. band...a dark, rich tone,  real
swing...anyone know who would have been doing Br studio stuff on a record
like that?  I think it might be a Krueger orch but am not sure...can't hear
Ben's discitnctive alto sax noodling.

Taylor