[78-L] Lou Raderman

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Wed Oct 14 12:22:03 PDT 2009

I've always enjoyed the Fritz Kreisler composition "Tambourin Chinois" and
always figured that Fritz's own recordings of it would be hard to match.

Well...I just purchased a copy of Cameo 362 (1923?) of violinist Lou
Raderman,  with piano,  just tearing through it...a totally delightful
performance,  and talk about technique...the guy had it for sure.  The other
side is a very sedate version of  "Minuet in G" which is nice,  but does not
match the real brilliance of the other side.  It even shines through the
crappy Cameo recording quality.

I like to picture some impecunious classical music fan in the early 20s who
had to settle for the 25-cent Cameo because he couldn't afford the 75-cent
Red Seal...and what a happy surprise it must have been for him/her to hear
the superb playing of Mr. Raderman

Does anyone have any other Raderman solos on record?  I don't recall hearing
any very interesting violin on any of his dance records.

I've seen a picture from the 50s of the Ernie Heckscher Orchestra at the
Fairmount in San Francisco,  and Lou is one of the three violin players.

Any other info,  thoughts on Lou Raderman?  Too damn bad that as a rule we
only hear his name in conjunction with the over-exposed Harmony record of
Ol' Man River (no Bix).

Taylor