[78-L] Art Tatum 100th birthday

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Wed Oct 14 12:11:23 PDT 2009

> This was the definition I learned when studying Folklore in grad school.
> Guess it all depends on what you want to believe, but I think that it has
> been simplistically reduced to "any tune that is slow."
>

> Cary Ginell

I love those old "ballads" like Chopin's Funeral March.

Earlier I was using "ballad" in the Tatum context to describe the somewhat
less frenetic recordings he made.

Recall how they used to rate tunes on American Bandstand..."It's got a good
beat and it's good to dance to."  I don't think Tatum would have made it on
that show!

Taylor