[78-L] Art Tatum 100th birthday

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Wed Oct 14 11:50:11 PDT 2009

That's Webster's definition. Others say the following:

"A narrative poem, often of folk origin and intended to be sung, consisting of simple stanzas and usually having a refrain."

This was the definition I learned when studying Folklore in grad school. Guess it all depends on what you want to believe, but I think that it has been simplistically reduced to "any tune that is slow."

Cary Ginell