[78-L] Art Tatum 100th birthday

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com
Wed Oct 14 09:33:49 PDT 2009

I'm glad to hear that there are a few others on-list who feel the way I
do about Tatum. A few years back I was almost bludgeoned to death by a
member when I issued this blasphemy!
As to why he orchestrated so meticulously? I once worked with a
guitarist who had a massive phobia about making mistakes. He'd craft his
solos, expressions and gestures so that they came out the same every
time he performed. The first time you'd hear him you'd think "Wow! What
great improvisation! This guy's good." Subsequent hearings gave him
away. Could it have been be the same thing with Tatum?
BTW, this group I was in with the guitarist was the only Rock & Roll
band where I actually had to write myself charts so I could play with
them without total confusion. Of course he'd get all pissed if I
actually used the charts in performance!
Happy birthday, Art!
Mal

*******