[78-L] Art Tatum 100th birthday

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Oct 14 00:27:36 PDT 2009

Taylor Bowie wrote:
> I learned a while ago that today October 13th was the 100th anniversary of
> the birth of Art Tatum,  so I thought that would be a  good occasion to stir
> up some trouble.
>
> Some people prefer traveling in something along the lines of the SST,
> because it is fast,  sleek,  mechanicaly complex,  etc.   Gets you there
> before you know it!
>
> That's all fine,  but going so fast I think you miss a lot of scenery which
> is part of what makes the trip enjoyable.
>
> And that's pretty much what I think of the playing of Art Tatum.  Yes,  it
> is impressive.  Yes,  he has technique to spare.  But I always get the
> feeling that he is not so much interpreting the melody as discecting it into
> little pieces...kind of like a surgeon doing an autopsy.
>
> Plus,  after a while,  you can always tell where and when he will make one
> of his little "runs" with which he likes to punctuate his playing.  I never
> experience the kind of joy or surprise in his work which I find in many
> other players.  It seems so calculated.
>
> When a record of his is over...I don't feel any sense of
> satisfaction....more like exhaustion.
>
> But year after year you read that he is the "greatest" piano player in jazz,
> blah blah blah.
>
> To me his playing  seems more like a stunt than music ...cold, clinical and
> machine like...disigned to get into the Guinness Book of Records as "most
> piano notes played in ten seconds."
>
> So Tatum fans...tell me what it is I'm missing.
>

> Taylor
===========
Nothing at all, Taylor. I think you've presented the case against Tatum
as well as I've ever heard it expressed. Seems to me he's more of a
musicians' musician, which is understandable.

Each song was carefully choreographed, so it came out the same each
time. I don't get that sense of dignity in his playing that I do with,
say, Teddy Wilson or Jess Stacy, more like a "Look Mum, I'm smoking!"
attitude.

Actually, this debate has been going on for many decades, similar to the
one about Jimmie Lunceford--his band probably impressed more in public
than on record. I rarely feel a desire to play a Lunceford or Tatum
record, and when I do I'm generally left unsatisfied.

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4505 (20091014) __________

http://www.eset.com