[78-L] Not only vinyl..now at 45RPM

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Oct 13 19:43:47 PDT 2009

From: "Martin Fisher" <wmfisher at mtsu.edu>

From: <fnarf at comcast.net>
>> This is for DJs, who mostly spin 12" 45s, and don't want to have to
>> change speeds (and worse, remember to change them back) when they're
>> cutting something in.

Naaaaa.  Martin is right, this isn't for DJs, and you actually have it
completely backwards.  In the U.S. the DJs HATED 12-inch 45s and FORCED
the companies to STOP MAKING 12-inch 45s.  They did not like the
confusion between 12-inch LPs and the 12-inch 45s because the record
companies were too stupid to make different label formats for the
different speeds like most of them had done at the introduction of the
LP and then stereo.  ALL American 12-inch disco singles are at 33
(except for some of the earliest.)

>> Also, the loudness of the 45 cut may be higher than the LP,
>> more in line with the other stuff they have so they don't
>> have to futz with the levels either.

The European DJs, being smarter than American DJs, did like the better
sound and punch of the 12-inch 45s, but they already had overcome the
additional problem of European 7-inch discs which could be either 45 or
33 with the small hole.  In the U.S. almost all companies followed the
industry standard for 7-inchers of having the 45s with large holes and
the 33s with small holes, so American DJs were pissed off when the
companies made look-alike 12-inch records at both speeds.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>