[78-L] Sacred variants [WAS: Col A-0268 composer / lyricist]

Stephen Davies SDavies at mtroyal.ca
Tue Oct 13 10:56:34 PDT 2009

Thanks, David,
the disc credits Ambrose for "One sweetly solemn thought", and I'm assuming
Cary is also right.

The disc gives zero credits for "Lead, kindly light", but it's Newman's
poem for beginners.  Bickersteth added a fourth verse, which may or not be
on this disc.  (He also expanded "Nearer my God to thee".)  The poem was
melded to music twice: once to "Lux benigna" by Dykes, and once to "Sandon"
by Purday.  I'm guessing that the Dykes version is more common.

Altho unfamiliar with this genre, I learned all this from one excellent
entry at "Music Played on the Titanic".  The story is told succinctly
without losing any of its muddiness.
http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/series/4/

- Stephen D
in Calgary

addressed, and may contain confidential, personal, and or privileged
information. Please contact the sender immediately if you are not the
intended recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or
take action relying on it. Any communication received in error, or