[78-L] Are there any recordings of...[was: Mabel Normand Recording]

Harold Aherne leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 13 07:11:27 PDT 2009

Talk-o-Photo. Jeepers, I'd love to hear some of these--most are not unique recordings,
since H.B. Warner, Gloria Swanson, Mae Murray, and others all made talkies and there
are taped interviews with Mary Miles Minter from the 60s or 70s. But J. Warren Kerrigan
(who retired in 1924) and David Powell (who died in 1925) are exceptions, and any
recording of them is a genuinely valuable artifact.

Now, something that I've long wanted to know but haven't gotten a definitive answer on:
did Wallace Reid make of these Talk-o-Photos? He's probably at the top of my list of
stars whose voices I'd like to hear. I don't know precisely when these records were
issued, but Reid was in New York in the late spring/early summer of 1920 and *could*
have stopped by the Emerson studio if they had wanted him.

I'd also like to hear Marguerite Clark and Constance Talmadge. Clark retired in 1921
and I'm not aware of any recordings, but I'd love to be proven wrong. There are several
near-misses with Constance Talmadge: she reportedly made a successful voice test
in 1929 for "Gold Diggers of Broadway"; appeared on sister Norma's and then-brother-
in-law George Jessel's radio show in April 1938, and was even on TV in November 1949,
on a Dennis James program. But there are no known recordings of any of these! The
Talmadges worked primarily in New York until 1921 or 1922 and again, they'd be available
for recording if Emerson was interested. (And by the way, Norma DOES NOT speak with
a Brooklyn accent in either of her two talkies, no matter what you've read).

-Harold
radio show with