[78-L] 78-L Digest, Vol 13, Issue 20

zimrec at juno.com zimrec at juno.com
Mon Oct 12 20:22:12 PDT 2009

I worked on the IAJRC CD project and was in close contact with John R. T. Davies during the production.  He didn't mention to me anything specific regarding the technical aspect of what he was doing, although production was delayed because, at one point, we lacked one of the vertical Pathe discs.  John had the missing side on a lateral pressing but felt that the quality was not up to par.  As a result, mastering was not completed for a few months until a copy of the missing vertical had been located.

Someone, and I can't recall who, told me that John had not pitch corrected the recordings but that the Memphis Archives issue had.  I've not compared the two issues, so I cannot comment on that.  What I do know is that some of the Memphis Archives transfers come from lateral pressings, one of which, I think on the Operaphone label, must have been in quite poor condition because it is so highly filtered that it sound like you're listening to it with cotton stuffed in your ears.  Too, the Memphis Archives issue,k for reasons explained in the accompanying booklet, intentionally added noise.

Art