[78-L] Glenn Miller - Victor LPT-6700

zimrec at juno.com zimrec at juno.com
Sun Oct 4 09:19:53 PDT 2009

A friend of mine acquired a collection of records at  price too good to resist.  Among them was the 5-LP set  Glenn MIller and His Orch - Second Pressing - RCA Victor LPT-6700.  The words Second Pressing appear on the cover of the set.  Various web sites and a couple ebay sellers indicate that this came out in 1962.  However, the copy he has is signed as a Christmas gift from one person to another and dated December 25, 1960.  The matrix number on the first side of the first record of the set is E3VP-5236.  I think that would have indicated a 1953 mastering.  I assume that LPT-6700, of which there is a first pressing, with beige cover (as opposed to the white cover of the second pressing), was originally issued prior to LPT-6702.  The latter, also a 5-LP set, is titled Air Force Band and is listed in a November 1956 Schwann catalog that I have.

So, my question is, when was LPT-6700 Second Pressing actually issued?  If 1962 is correct, how could someone have signed it as a gift with a 1960 date?  Also, are there any recordings on that set that have not been issued elsewhere?

Art