[78-L] A "Goons" 78...?!

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Oct 3 09:16:19 PDT 2009

It's all rather confusing really....

The first Sellers LP was called The Best of Sellers and was a ten-inch
Parlophone mono disc. Imported copies were widely available in Canada. In 1959
came "Songs for Swinging Sellers", which as far as I know was also only mono on
Parlophone but which was obviously recorded in stereo, since (a) it was
reissued in stereo later as EMI NTS 136 and (b) parts of it and the ten-inch
Parlophone were cobbled together to form the first American release, Angel (S)
35884, also titled "The best of Sellers".

The ten-incher was reissued as a twelve-incher, still in mono, as Starline MRS
5157. So I guess parts of it did exist in stereo, since they were on the Angel
LP, but maybe not all of it..? The CD (in the box set) has all those tracks inb
mono, but "Balham", "Party Political Speech" and "I'm So Ashamed" are very
definitely in stereo on the Angel LP.

"Peter and Sophia" appeared on Parlophone and Angel, but one track was dropped
for the American release, "Africa Today".

dl