[78-L] A "Goons" 78...?!

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Sat Oct 3 08:24:09 PDT 2009

At 03:36 03/10/2009, DL wrote:
>Interesting, in that THE GOONS as such were recording for Decca in
>1956-57 but
>the various members were recording for other labels. I've had these two sides
>on lp (Dark Side Of The Goon) for years but never seen the original
>labels and
>didn't know about the "Goons Disc" designation.

I don't know exactly how or why the Goons migrated from Decca to
Parlophone (and then eventually to BBC Records for programme
compilations), but one can only imagine that the solo efforts of
Peter Sellers and his relationship with George Martin had a lot to do
with it. Perhaps this would be one of the grey-area releases where
negociations where underway to move to the EMI family, and they
couldn't credit the record the 'The Goons' as such. Legally though
the designation GOON DISC (note that GOON is singular) could be used
to sway the audience in as much as only one Goon was credited even
though all were present and uncredited. I could also be speaking rubbish!

The Goons last charted in the UK singles chart in September 1956 with
Bloodnock's Rock n Roll Call b/w The Ying Tong Song on Decca F.10780
and made it number 3. Actually, I fib a little there as a 45 rpm
reissue in 1973  charted at #9 in July (Decca F.13414) with The Ying
Tong Song on the top side.

I put the count at 4 discs (singles) on Decca and 1 on Parlophone.