[78-L] Questions re airplay of old recordings on radio redux

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com
Sun Sep 27 19:36:00 PDT 2009

Oh, hell, let's try that again...
"Charleston" was written by pianist James P. Johnson & lyricist Cecil
Mack for the stage play "Running Wild" which opened on Broadway on
October 29, 1923 and ran for 213 performances. Without digging any
further I surmise it was probably composed that same year. What I find
interesting is that Johnson was already recording by that time but I
could find no instance of his recording the tune under his own name.
But I could swear I've heard him do it as a piano solo, possibly on a
1960s 33rpm album of  recordings made in the late 40s.
That's just a guess, I could be misremembering.
Malcolm

*******