[78-L] Tom Lehrer question (borderline ^)

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Sep 26 19:50:29 PDT 2009

Michael Shoshani wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-09-26 at 11:24 -0400, David Lennick wrote:
>> Yesterday at the Kingston Symphony rummage sale I picked up "An Evening Wasted
>> with Tom Lehrer" on English Decca SKL 4097..right, stereo. Aside from TL 202S,
>> the original 1959 issue on Lehrer's own label, is this the only genuine stereo
>> issue? Reprise apparently issued it in fake stereo and Rhino used that master,
>> then reduced it to mono, per the extensive TL discography below.
>
> Believe it or not, the box set "Remains of Tom Lehrer" contains "And
> Evening Wasted" in its stereo version.
>
> The only TL record that was ever issued in stereo at one point that has
> not seen a stereo release since its original LP issue is his second
> album, "More of Tom Lehrer".   Despite its late release (1960), his
> other live album, "Tom Lehrer Revisited", was never released in stereo
> at all.
>
> MS

By yiminy..wonder why they didn't use the stereo master for "More of" on Rhino,
unless it was no longer playable? There's no reference to mono or stereo that I
can see anywhere on "Songs & More Songs By..". There IS one stereo track, and
that's "I Got It From Agnes".

dl (who owns a near mint copy of the Capricorn 45)