[78-L] La Belle

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Sat Sep 26 11:08:19 PDT 2009

This increases my knowledge of the LaBelle 300 series issues also with 200 %.
I have a nearly unreadable image of:
LaBelle 303-A Tivoli Dance Orchestra: Bimini Bay.
The black label 1400/1500 series and esp. the blue AL-5000 series are more common.

Two images shown in the BS discography: 303-A & 1418-B.
ARLC says the black labels use Olympic material. Catnrs same as corresponding Olympics.
This appears to apply to the 14/1500 series.
The 1st (!) issue in the 1400 series is 1410-B Southern Five: I wish I Could Shimmy (...).
But for many issues, esp.the earlier ones, no Olympic issues are known,
only some on LaBelle, Majestic, &c.

Leaves question: what is the source for the LaBelle 300 series?
Well, thanks to dl this can be answered: the 15000 series mxs are Olympic release nrs.
The BS dg even mentions the scratched-out '5'.
Dapper Dan is Olympic 15129-B, by Club Maurice Orch., LaBelle issue unknown to BS discographers
(well, that's now an earthshaking find, Al).
Oddly, 15121-A Canadian Capers is on LaBelle 311, acc. to BS dg.

Well, wisdom comes with age, and I see now that prob. all LaBelle 300s are
(re?)issues of Olympic 15100 series sides. Highest nr is 314 (Bennie Krueger on Olympic 15119/20).

Han Enderman
===
>>> I just increased my holdings of LaBelle 78s by 200% this week. These two have
black labels (the previous one I had was ex Columbia with blue labels) and
curiously, have near consecutive matrix numbers, so they're probably by the
same orchestra.

302: Rialto Dance Orchestra
	Say It With Music (15127-A)
	Who'll Be the Next One (To Cry Over You) (15125-A but the
		second 5 is scratched out and "6" appears over it)

305: Meadowbrook Dance Band
	Canadian Capers (15121-A)
	Dapper Dan (15129- suffix might be A or B)

dl
<<<