[78-L] Grammatically incorrect

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Sep 19 21:34:20 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> Read any newspaper..writers and editors are comma happy. I find many
> stories
> with far too many commas inserted (and let's not get into the plural verbs
> that
> invariably follow "none" and other horrors).
> I had a comma-happy idiot editing my liner notes at Intersound. They'd fax
> me
> the proofs but always too late. Tough bananas.
> I also worked for a station whose program director would call you into his
> office any time you used the phrase "of course". "It implies that the
> listener
> is dumber than you are." Well of course he is, you jerk..otherwise he'd be
> the
> one on the radio!

When I was a children (well before "spell-check" was invented and became
heavily used in the newspaper industry!), one's daily newspaper also served
as one's "grammar teacher," thanxes to a highly-literate and well-educated
staff of proofreaders!!

To-day, as I read my way through the current papers, I can all TOO easily
identify the incomprehensible substitutions made by the author's "spell
check"
capability...?!

FEH?!

Steven C. Barr