[78-L] Grammatically incorrect

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Sep 19 21:24:59 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cary Ginell" <soundthink at live.com>
> As a writer and editor, I am bound by the rules of the Chicago Manual of
> Style, which is the house rule book for the company I work for. Certain
> things are relaxed a bit, however, such as ending a sentence in a
> preposition. I'm allowed to do that.
>
> However, you should never start a sentence with "however." I fall off the
> wagon sometimes.

"However" should, in theory, start a new clause...and thus be preceded by a
semicolon!
However, if the second clause is too long, making the opening sentence
rather unwieldy,
the only practical option is to make it into another sentence...which
rationally begins with
"However!"

Readers will note that this post serves as a "horrible example?!"

However, they probably WON'T?!

Steven C. Barr