[78-L] Grammatically incorrect

Graeme Jaye gj at telefonica.net
Sat Sep 19 09:31:08 PDT 2009

Hi Cary

On 19/09/2009 you wrote;

CG> As a writer and editor, I am bound by the rules of the
CG> Chicago Manual of Style, which is the house rule book for the
CG> company I work for. Certain things are relaxed a bit, however,
CG> such as ending a sentence in a preposition. I'm allowed to do
CG> that.

Naturally enough, I've never heard of the Chicago Manual of Style, but
I have to say it seems totally at odds with English as it is taught in
the Mother country (or, at least, as it was taught when I went to
school).

CG> However, you should never start a sentence with "however."

This is typical example - I was taught precisely the opposite.  Never
start a sentence with 'but'.

CG> I fall off the wagon sometimes.

I think we all do (where's that bottle?).

Graeme Jaye

graemejaye at iname.com

Audio Restoration and Location Sound Recording
http://www.personal-cd.com

Hobby Musician - find some of my stuff here
http://www.indiehitz.net/html/bands/19/