[78-L] Asch release

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Sep 19 07:03:01 PDT 2009

Han Enderman wrote:
> No, the album cover gives credit as I described (if you want the images I can mail them):
> the credit is on the album as (The) Memphis 5/Five. Notes list Signorelli & Napoleon as
> "the band's anchor men" and mention S. as composer.
>
> Signorelli is given as credit in dg pres. since he is the first person listed on the label.
> I couldn't find this session in Jepsen (not under Signorelli or (Orig) Memphis 5), but it is
> in Bruyninckx (CD) in the same way as given by you for Lord.
>
> Oddly, the notes state: "The band's personnel, besides Signorelli and Napoleon, are...
> ...Gordon (Chriss [sic]) Griffin, trumpet; ...". But no Napoleon on label (and I assume
> there is only 1 tp ?) of 365-1A (Lime House). HOWEVER, Nap is listed as the only tp on
> 365-1-B (Between...) label ! Griffin again on 365-3A/B, but how about 365-2 ??
>
> Han Enderman
--------
Only one trumpet, who sounds like Griffin (who's listed on the label).
Incidentally, Art Gentry sings quite a hip vocal on "Saxaphone Joe"
(comp. Chauncey Morehouse), with references to Lester Young and Leonard
Feather (twice)! In all, a pretty modern performance.

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4440 (20090919) __________

http://www.eset.com