[78-L] Grammatically incorrect

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Sep 19 00:57:54 PDT 2009

Graeme Jaye wrote:
> Hi Cary
>
> On 18/09/2009 you wrote;
>
> CG> Getting back to Mary Travers, I think that it's unfortunate
> CG> that for all these years, "Peter, Paul and Mary" was incorrect.
> CG> The Chicago Manual of Style indicates that it should have an extra
> CG> comma: "Peter, Paul, and Mary."
>
> Must be an "across the pond" thing.
>
> In the UK, I was taught that a comma should *never* precede 'and'. But
> then, what do we Brits know about the English language?
>
> Looking at it, at a more basic level, the comma indicates a slight
> pause in the spoken text.  That being the case, try reading the two
> versions out loud incorporating these pauses.  Which one flows better?
>
> Graeme Jaye
-------
The comma makes "Mary" either sound like an afterthought ("and, by the
way, Mary") or an emphasis ("and not forgetting Mary"!). Incidentally, I
don't put a comma before "etc".

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4439 (20090918) __________

http://www.eset.com