[78-L] Starr-Gennett Walk Of Fame (Part 2)

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com
Fri Sep 18 17:24:16 PDT 2009

Murray did not record "I'll See You In C-U-B-A" for Gennett in 1920,
unless he was fronting the Paradise Novelty Orchestra. They were the
only Gennett artist who recorded this piece that year, as an
"introducing" number within the song "Sahara Rose." (mx 7291, Ge 9060 &
Starr Gennett 9060). Searches for surrounding years did not yield this
title up by Murray, or anyone else, for that matter.
To be fair, there are a couple of large blocks of matrices and issues
surrounding "He Went In Like A Lion" (see below) that are not accounted
for in early 1920, so it's still possible Murray did record the number,
but no info still has surfaced yet.
I'm missing mxes 7184-7192 and 7198-7211 and the associated info.

Murray did record these sides, though:

c. March 1919
mx 6097
Heart Breaking Baby Doll
Ge 4526-A

c. July 1919
mx 7062a
Take Your Girlie To The Movies
Ge 4542-B

mx 7063a
And He'd Say Oo-La-La! Wee Wee
Ge 4541-A

c. May 1920
mx 7197
He Went In Like A Lion
Ge 9029-A, StGe 9029-

prob. rec. 08/25/20
mx 7304a
The Simple Simon Party
Ge 9073-A, St Ge 9073-

rec. 08/25/20
mx 7305
Chili Bean
Ge 9065-A, StGe 9065-

That's about it for Gennett. I don't think any of his material was
re-released on Champion or other Gennett related labels.
As to Henry Burr, Irving Kaufman, Arthur Fields, etc., that's a batch of
searching for another day.
Mal Rockwell

*******