[78-L] Van Alexander

Dan Van Landingham danvanlandingham at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 16 18:13:25 PDT 2009

I used to have that recording plus the "follow up" recording "I Found My Yellow Basket".Ella
and the man listed as co-composer was "Al Feldman" who became known as "Van Alexa-
nder" left Webb to start his own big band.He recorded for Bluebird then disbanded.One of
his saxophonists,Butch Stone,went to work for Larry Clinton then joined Les Brown.I have
a number of Van Alexander's Bluebird recordings such as "Ya Had it Comin' to You" and
with Clinton,"What's the Good of Moonlight" which also featured the singing of Peggy Mann
who also recorded-on Columbia-with Benny Goodman.Stone worked for years a a baritone
saxist with Brown.One of Brown's lead altoist lives here in the Coos Bay-North Bend area-
Matt Utal.